Honoring our first Responders
Police Chief Pulver To End 16 Years Of Loyal Service
(From the Webster Herald, March 31, 1944)
Webster's chief of police Homer Pulver, Jr., has accepted the position of chief of police of Palmyra. The Village Board at its meeting Monday, officially accepted his resignation, so Mr. Pulver and his family go to Palmyra around April 6th.
Mr. Pulver thus ends a notable career of service to the community of Webster. It was in September of 1928 that he first brought it to the attention of village officials the crying need for police protection. To bring them to this realization, he worked six months without pay in the capacity of police officer. In March of 1929, the village gave him official recognition and Mr. Pulver began his years of service, as a full- fledged police officer. He retained this title until eight years ago when he was made chief.
In 1929, Mr. Pulver took advantage of a program sponsored by the Rochester Police Department and the University of Rochester, to acquaint the police officers of the surrounding towns with law enforcement and which trained them in the ways of police work. Mr. Pulver graduated from this school after completing a two - year course. This training was supplemented by occasional attendance in schools for members of the Rochester Police force.
In the 16 years in which Homer Pulver served this village there were several events which brought his value to the attention of the outside world. There was the Butch Schenck case which occurred in December of 1929 and then recurred in 1936 in the brutal slaying of his daughter. Mr. Pulver played a principal role in the capture of this character on both occasions.
In 1932 a hold-up gang entered a restaurant located between Webster and Union Hill. Mr. Pulver succeeded in capturing three of these men single-handed. The fourth, the law caught up with later in Oswego.
The State Police and Homer Pulver, working together in 1935, successfully captured the school thieves who had pilfered twenty-one schools in western New York . They were caught red-handed at Webster High School after a previous robbery in the Ontario School.
These are merely a few of the highlights of Mr. Pulver's career in this village. It doesn’t bespeak of the faithfulness to duty, his honesty and courtesy to townspeople, and his eternal desire to make Webster a better town in which to live. To show the goodwill with which it has always favored Mr. Pulver and in behalf of the villagers who will miss his pleasant ways, the Village Board will tender a farewell parly in his honor Tuesday, April 4th, at Punk Rowe’s.
News & Events
Honoring our first Responders
Our current exhibit honors the Police and Firemen of Webster, West Webster and Union Hill who have served the community for many years.
When you visit the museum, we have a book available for you to sign and leave your thanks to the men and women of the police and fire departments who protect our town and village.
Thanks to Bryan Mason for lending us his grandfather's uniforms from his time with the Union Hill Fire Deptment. We also have uniforms and photos from the Webster Police Department.
Trick or Treat Trail
Saturday, October 29th, 11:30am to 3:00pm
The Webster Museum will be open to all during the village's "Trick or Treat Trail". Stop in for treats, games and maybe a trick or two.
A brief history of Chocolate
Chocolate has been consumed as a beverage for many thousands of years in Central American and parts of Mexico throughout the Olmeca, Mayan, and Aztec civilizations.
16th century Conquistador, Hernán Cortés is believed to have introduced chocolate to his native Spain on his return from the new world. It soon became a popular beverage across Europe.
It wasn't until 1847 that chocolate suitable for large scale production was successfully formed into a bar by the English firm, J. S. Fry & Sons, though the taste would not have likely pleased our taste buds. In 1866 they began commercial production of Fry's Chocolate Cream bars (a refined version of the original is still available to this day in the UK).
In 1879 Rudolphe Lindt developed a "conching" machine that helped improve the texture and flavor of the chocolate to what we today expect from a chocolate bar.
The name most closely associated with American chocolate opened for business in February of 1894.
In 1911, The Mars family began their chocolate business.
During World War II chocolate was difficult to come by and what was available was controlled by Hershey's as they provided chocolate bars to the troops.
Though competitors, Forrest Mars Sr., son of the Mars founder saw English soldiers eating small chocolate beads encased in a hard sugar shell (Smarties) and took his idea to produce an American version to Bruce Murrie, the son of Hershey executive William Murrie. The pair teamed up to produce M & M's (Mars & Murrie) for distribution to the military.
Following the war, the product went public, Forrest Mars bought out Murrie's 20% of the venture, and eventually the firm discontinued using Hershey's chocolate. In 1950, each m&m began being imprinted with a black "m", but in 1954 they changed the imprint color to white.
|Fry's Chocolate Cream (UK)||1866||Mondelēz/Kraft||J.S. Fry & Sons|
|Clark Bar||1917||Necco||D.L. Clark Co.|
|Oh Henry!||1920||Nestlé||Williamson Candy Co.|
|Baby Ruth||1921||Nestlé||Curtiss Candy Co.|
|Butterfinger||1923||Nestlé||Curtiss Candy Co.|
|Reese's Peanut Butter Cups||1928||Hershey's||H.B. Reese Candy Co.|
|Smarties (UK)||1937 (1882)||Nestlé||Rowntree's|
|Rolo||1937 (US 1969)||Nestlé||Mackintosh's|
|KitKat||1935 (US 1970)||Hershey's (US) / Nestlé||Rowntree's|
|York Peppermint Pattie||1940||Hershey's||Peter Paul|
|Lindor Truffles||1949||Lindt & Sprüngli||Lindt & Sprüngli|
|Twix||1966 (US 1979)||Mars||Mars UK|
There is a slight association with this cache and President Abraham Lincoln. He did briefly visit our nearby city of Rochester on his inaugural tour on February 18, 1861. Lincoln was warmly received by 15,000 people and carried this area in his election.
The Village of Webster
N 43° 12.694 W 077° 25.742
UTM: 18T E 302690 N 4787173
WEBSTER MUSEUM AND HISTORICAL SOCIETY
18 Lapham Park Webster, New York 14580 585.265.3308