Jayne and Mason bank opened on South Avenue.
Webster Rural Free Delivery service was started.
Rochester and Sodus Bay trolley made its first run through town.
Dr. Byron Palmer became the first practicing dentist in Webster.
|1901||Bell Telephone Company started their exchange in the Frank M. Jones block.|
|1905||Webster Village was incorporated.|
Acetylene lights were used to light the village streets.
Webster Fire Department was organized.
|1907||Mr. John Malcho started first regular milk delivery service.|
|1911||Webster Village Hall and Firehouse was built on West Main Street.|
|1912||Electricity was installed in town.|
|1914||The Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburg Railroad became a part of the New York Central system.|
|1915||Webster's first paid public nurse, Miss Eleanor Smith, started duty.|
|1917||Webster boys started serving in World War I.|
|1918||Inspiration Point was opened to the public by the Drews brothers.|
|1924||A new high school building, present Edward W. Spry building, was erected on South Avenue and Sanford Street.|
Webster Public Library was opened in the high school library.
The "Corning House" was opened as a hospital.
The last run of the Sodus Bay trolley was followed by the first bus of the Rochester Transit system.
The Village Board appointed Homer Pulver as the first village police officer.
|1930||Tornado-like winds did much damage throughout the town.|
During a severe winter the temperature was recorded as 22 degrees below zero. Many area fruit trees were killed. Lake Ontario was frozen about ten miles out from shore. The car ferry, Ontario 2, was trapped over night in the ice.
Union Trust Bank Company opened its office in the former Jayne and Mason Bank building .
|1935||Village of Webster constructed its first complete sewage system.|
|1936||First well was drilled on DeWitt Road for Webster's new water system.|
|1937||Webster Beach Park came into being.|
Cemetery Road was changed to Maple Drive.
Mrs. Warren Cutler presented her Lake Road home and property to the Boy Scout organization.
|1940||Observance of Webster's 100-year anniversary started on February 6.|
A program of thanksgiving for the closing of World War II was held in Webster High School on August 15.
On September 1, Mrs. Hazel Kasper, community nurse for 23 years retired.
Bishop Kearney dedicated St. Rita's church in West Webster.
Earl Smith and Carl Lotze built the first public funeral home at 10 Lapham Park.
Inter-denominational church services in Empire Drive-In Theatre were initiated by the area clergy.
Bruce and Mary Hegedorn open Hegedorn's Market before a crowd of 4000.
Bishop Dudley Scott Stark broke ground for the Church of the Good Shepherd at corner of State and Webster-Fairport Roads.
After a 150-year family ownership, Nine Mile Point Hotel and 14 1/2 acres of land west of the channel were sold. Hedges Nine Mile Point Restaurant opens in its place.
The Youth Commision, predecessor of the Recreation Department, was started.
Reverend Ralph Winn conducted the ceremony of breaking ground for the United Church of Christ.
The first building of Haloid Company was started on the Phillips Road.
Dedication services for St. Martin's Evangelical Lutheran church were conducted.
East Rochester Federal Savings and Loan Association opened its first bank at 34 West Main Street .
|1957||The Town Hall at 1000 Ridge Road was completed.|
Star Super Market opened on West Main Street.
Webster Bible Church held first services in the basement of its new church.
New dial telephone office at 833 Ridge Road was opened.
First public sewer service outside of the village was begun.
New West Webster post office, at 1049 Gravel Road, was completed.
Orville Costich and Jerry Burns were the first dealers in snowmobiles.
The first dog ordinance was passed by the village and town.
R. L. Thomas School on Five Mile Line Road opened to accomodate 2,000 students.
Following a fire, the Webster Hotel was demolished to make room for the Marine Midland Trust Company bank building.
|1964||The Town Planning Board was commissioned by the Town Board to prepare a master plan for the future development of the town.|
|1965||Town Supervisor's master plan for a permanent solution to the town's sewage problems was adopted.|
The old West Webster Methodist church was demolished in order to build a new church on the same site.
The West Webster firehouse on Gravel Road was dedicated.
The new St. Paul's parish was incorporated in April.
The dog leash law was adopted by the town.
Herbert W. Schroeder Junior-Senior High complex was started on Ridge Road.
The town master plan was presented to the Town Board.
Central Trust Company opened its branch office at 195 West Main Street.
Town of Webster Bike Route was officially opened.
Dedication services were held for the Webster post office on West Main Street.
The new town zoning ordinance was adopted.
New Presbyterian church on Webster-Nine Mile Point Road was completed.
New firehouse on South Avenue was dedicated.
Webster Christian Reformed church built new edifice on State Road.
Official open house was held at the pure water central treatment plant off the Phillips Road.
New wing of Hegedorn's IGA Foodliner was completed.
Stage Coach Inn was destroyed by fire and rebuilt.
Ground floor of Town Hall was renovated for more office and meeting space.
Town garage was erected on Hard Road.
Firm of Frank J. Prinzing, Incorporated, held open house in the new building at 195 West Main Street.
Netzman's completed 50 year in business on Main Street .
Irondequoit Bay Bridge, extending from Newport Cove on the west to Inspiration Point on the east, opened to traffic on February 3.
WEBSTER MUSEUM AND HISTORICAL SOCIETY
18 Lapham Park Webster, New York 14580 585.265.3308